Monday, February 16, 2015

You Are Never Alone


                                                   “Have I not commanded you?  Be strong and courageous.  Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”  (Joshua 1:9)                                                       (Image courtesy of kasparstromman.com)
   

Years ago, during the first few days of my very first job as a school leader, a trusted colleague told me something that I carry to this day:  “Being a school leader is probably the world’s best ongoing values clarification exercise.”  And how right he was!  For as I got to know the people in my new school community, wade into the issues that accompanied their lives,  and ultimately made decisions  in line with my responsibilities, I had to sort out what I believed was right and just in a world with few “black and white” markers.  Through the process of weighing out the complex problems of human life and making my decisions, I was essentially revealing, testing and shaping my core beliefs; and given my formal leadership role in the school, I was thus, over time, also simultaneously revealing, testing and shaping the values of my school community, too.  The world’s best ongoing values clarification exercise indeed! 

Over time, I came to deeply appreciate the way the leader's decision-making responsibilities helped me to figure out who I am and what I believe in terms of core values.  But making decisions in accord with principles of what one can best discern is right and just is often not popular whatsoever.   At such times, the leadership journey seems trod on a deserted path.  Yet in such forlorn hours, we are always accompanied by our truest friend , as William Barclay perhaps says best:  "There are certain decisions which must be taken and certain roads that must be walked in the awful loneliness of our own souls.  And yet, in the deepest sense of all, even in these times, we are not alone, for never is God nearer to us." 

So, leaders, remind yourselves, the path may be lonely but beyond the gift of a life of service also comes an abiding clarity – that you are never LESS alone than when you are doing His work for his children, setting as many on the right path as you can.


                                              “Nothing before, nothing behind

                                              The steps of faith

                                               Fall on the seeming void, and find

                                              The rock beneath.”
                                                                 (John Greenleaf Whittier)
Dear Lord,
Thank you for the road that you have prepared especially for me.  Knowing that You always go before me and and are with me, let me always move with confidence and courage down that path, regardless of what may arise along the journey.  I pray that You guide me in my steps and that I may be open to Your guidance until that day when I finally arrive home with You.
Amen.




2 comments:

  1. One night I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord. Many scenes from my life flashed across the sky. In each scene I noticed footprints in the sand. Sometimes there were two sets of footprints, other times there were one set of footprints. This bothered me because I noticed that during the low periods of my life, when I was suffering from anguish, sorrow or defeat, I could see only one set of footprints.

    So I said to the Lord, "You promised me Lord, that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I have noticed that during the most trying periods of my life there have only been one set of footprints in the sand. Why, when I needed you most, you have not been there for me?"

    The Lord replied, "The times when you have seen only one set of footprints, is when I carried you."

    Mary Stevenson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always a classic! Thanks for sharing it, Luke!

    ReplyDelete